Saturday, September 8, 2018

Crisis Drills








Today's world (unfortunately) requires teachers to be prepared for some sort of crisis.  By crisis I don't mean fire or tornado, but an intruder who is intent on hurting children.  First and foremost, I cannot even believe that this topic requires addressing.  When I was a child and also when I sent my own children to school I never would have dreamed that a college would have a monument to teachers killed in the line of duty!  KIA is something that I expected when I was a soldier, but to expect this as an educator is unbelievable! 

To the families and friends of educators who have been executed while protecting your students I cannot even imagine your grief. 

As for myself, I cannot predict what would happen if (God forbid) my school was put into the position of having to defend children from a madman.  All I can do is plan for the possibility of this happening (as all schools are) and assure my school kids that if this were ever to happen that "I've got this" and that they will be safe. 

Crisis drills are different in the art room simply because the students are not actually in the art room for much time during the week.  All of my classes know that we have a plan, and we have discussed that plan and practiced the implementation of that plan. 

When I discuss "the plan" with the students my main goal is to ensure in each and every one of them that if something were to happen I will keep them safe.

I am saddened by the necessity to plan for these events. 



No comments:

Post a Comment